Monday, September 7, 2015

Reading Diary A: Homer's Odyssey

These were some of my thoughts as I was reading the Myth-Folklore Unit: Homer's Odyssey

The Cyclops’ Cave- How lucky they were to get the sheep that must have feed them well.   I have a bad feeling about them going to meet the other men. 
Polyphemus Returns- it was probably a good thing that they did not mess with his food.  I did not realize how big the cyclops was until they talked about moving the rock that 22 wagons could not move. 
Picture of  Polyphemus: found on Wikipedia

Trapped-That cyclops is a pretty violent guy who doe snot respect the gods. 

Blinding the Cyclops-while he is weaker than the cyclops he is much smarter. the cyclops story was more violent that i thought but i like how the men were able to escape because of their smarts.

Polyphemus’ Curse- I wounder why the cyclops decided to pray to Poseidon if at first he was saying that he did not respect the gods. Maybe it shows just how mad he was to Odysseus. I also wounder why Zeus did not accept the sacrifice.

The Magic Spell- It is kind of strange that the beasts did not attack the men as the came close to Circe. 

Help from Hermes- I like how determined Odysseus is a good example of this is when he says "but I, bound by necessity, will go" . Odysseus has such faith that he trust the god Hermes and goes to face Circe. I think this is a very important quality that helps make him the legend that he is.

The Death of Elpenor- its interesting that the morning has been described as rosy until this point and now he has to go to the god of then dead and its described as golden-throned. I wounder if this is going to have some impact on the story.

over I really like these stories they are very detailed but still have room for me to write so I might pick one of these and retell it or I might even tell the cyclops story from a different point of view but im not sure yet cause I still have the other half of the reading to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment