Thursday, September 10, 2015

Extra Reading Diary:Ovid's Metamorphoses (Books 8-10)

These were my thoughts while reading Ovid's Metamorphoses (Books 8-10)

Daedalus and Icarus- I have heard this story before but never really read it. I did not realize that Icarus was flying with his dad. I like this story because it has a good lesson to it. That you should stay in the place that is meant for you and to flow the rules.
Lelex tells of Philemon and Baucis- this was kind of strange at first but I now see the compassion these two had for complete stranger. i think it shows that it is important to help others.
The transformation of Philemon and Baucis.- It is really cool that the gods rewarded them for being so nice to them even though they were strangers. I think this shows that you will be rewarded for your good deeds 
Painting of Philemon and Baucis, by Kiprensky can be found here

Ceres sends Famine to Erysichthon- the description of Famine is very graphic I can just picture how sad and empty Famine is and then she breathed that in to the guy there is no way he will ever be satisfied again.  The ending when he ate him self was crazy not what i was expecting
Acheloüs wrestles with Hercules- Hercules is a pretty good fighter i like when he laughs at him for turning in to a snake
The Death of Hercules- I never knew that Hercules left his mortal body 
Birth of Hercules- Ok so im not sure where the weasel came from but it sounds like a good punishment.

Over all the stories were pretty good but it was kind of confusing how they all fit together

No comments:

Post a Comment