Friday, September 25, 2015

Extra Reading Diary: Jataka Tales (Babbitt)

these were some of my thoughts as I was reading  Jataka Tales (Babbitt)
I have done them a little differently than my other reading notes but you can read about in my growth mindset post   

I thought these stories were good. I like how they each have a lesson because not only are they entertaining but they also teach you something important. I thought it was interesting that many of these stories were very similar to stories in other readings. I wonder what it is that made these stories popular in two different cultures. I think this says a lot about as a people because it shows how we value character traits even if we come from different back grounds. For example in The Ox Who Won the Forfeit the lesson is to treat others nicely. This teaching can apply to everyone and it does not matter where they come from. I think its cool that these short stories that were written so long ago can still apply to our lives today.

I think my favorite story from this reading was The Monkey and the Crocodile. I like it because the monkey is so much smarter than the crocodile he is able to out smart him in every way. Even when the monkeys greed takes over for a short time, he is still able to use his wit to make it out alive.      
Monkey and the crocodile can be found in the Un-Textbook 

No comments:

Post a Comment