Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Reading Diary B: South African Folktales

These were my thoughts as i was reading South African Folktales.

Over all I found these stories to fun and entertaining. I really like the simplicity of these folktale types of stories. i think that they revival a lot about a culture. 
While reading The Dance for Water I could not help but think how similar this was to The Story of a Dam. I wounder why this is? 
I also really liked the story of The White Man and Snake. although it was one of the shorter stories that we have read I found it to be full of information. First off i thought it was interesting that it said white man,  as these stories are set in Africa i would not expect for a white man to be the main subject. I also liked the lesson that was tough. even though you are nice to some one does not mean that they will be nice to you. also that peoples nature does not change over knight. something that i found interesting about this story is that the jackal ended up helping instead of hurting like he does in most stories. 
man snake basket from Pinellas Park   on Wikimedia 

Another story that i liked was Lion Who Thought Himself Wiser Than His Mother. I think this story shows the importance of understanding someone nature before just trusting them and it also shows that you should listen to your parents     

No comments:

Post a Comment