Friday, October 9, 2015

Extra Reading Diary: West African Folktales

these were my thoughts while reading West African Folktales 

I really enjoyed reading How We Got the Name "Spider Tales"- that spider is a smart animal playing on the cockiness of the others to get what he wants. i really liked how it showed the characteristics of four different animals. the bees were over excited, the boa was two proud the tiger was to curious and the spider was smarter than them all.
so as i was responding to stories a few weeks ago i had read a rewrite version of Anansi and Nothing. I was excited to read this story again because the ending always cracks me up.
I thought that these stories would be similar to the south african stories but they were not. these stories were full of spiders. while the south african stories were full of jackals. I wonder why this difference is. it could just be the stories that were selected or it could be that people in south Africa did not see as many spiders. I know that native americans also use the spider as a trickster. I thinks that it is cool that two completely different people groups can both describe one animal in the same way
jumping spider from Wikimedia 
           

No comments:

Post a Comment